Tanzania, including the semi-autonomous region of Zanzibar, has fewer than one doctor and two nurses or midwives per 10,000 people, far less than the minimum of 23 doctors and nurses per 10,000 people that the World Health Organization recommends.
This health worker shortage exacerbates the country’s inability to offer universal HIV testing and to adequately care for the one million Tanzanian adults living with HIV and the two million Tanzanian children orphaned by the disease.
In Tanzania, IntraHealth has:
- Helped provide HIV testing and counseling to over 1.1 million Tanzanians.
- Provided voluntary male medical circumcision services, which can reduce a man’s risk of contracting HIV by 60%, to 315,000 Tanzanian men and boys in 3 regions.
- Offered specialized clinical services to survivors of gender-based violence in urban and rural areas in 7 regions.
- Aided Zanzibar in increasing its health workforce by more than 27% over the course of three years by using data from open-source software tools provided by IntraHealth International and the World Health Organization.
- Installed an electronic human resources information system, iHRIS Manage, developed by IntraHealth, to help health leaders design and manage a comprehensive human resources strategy. We also trained local staff to use the software, and local partners to provide technical and management support to ensure the system’s sustainability.
- Trained nearly 3,000 health workers to provide HIV testing and counseling services as well as voluntary male medical circumcision services.
- Partnered with regional and district health management teams to train health workers and improve access to high-quality services in rural health facilities.
- Developed and launched an immunization registry to digitize the stock management, service delivery, and administration for vaccinating 2 million babies per year.
Current Projects (& Funders)
Key Local Partners
Past Projects (& Funders)
- Provider-Initiated Testing and Counseling Project (United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Tanzania Human Resource Capacity Project (USAID)
- PRIME II Project (USAID)
- Capacity Project (USAID)
RELATED NEWS, FEATURES, AND BLOGS
Major new awards from the US government, foundations and the private sector are expanding IntraHealth International 's impact globally as it strengthens health systems, addresses the health... Read More »
Through a new five-year award from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, IntraHealth International will strengthen and scale up a comprehensive package of high-quality, safe... Read More »
IntraHealth International launched its newest independent, country-based affiliate last month in Tanzania. The new local entity, called Afya Plus , will partner with the government of Tanzania,... Read More »